Sunday, July 16, 2006

Look! Up on the IMAX screen! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Superman!

The IMAX cinema here in Halifax, Nova Scotia (where I'm on an extended business trip) is showing Superman Returns in 3D, so I decided to see it again.

After seeing it a second time, has my opinion of it changed? Yes, but only for the better. As much as I raved about how good it was after seeing it the first time, I liked it even better this time. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still on the edge of my seat. Familiarity didn't breed lack of interest. If anything, the anticipation of what was coming made it more exciting.

Good films hold up to more than one viewing. After reading some of the negative reviews of the film, I thought perhaps I missed something the first time, but, no, Superman Returns holds up on second viewing for me as well as it did on first viewing.

While only 20 minutes are 3D in the IMAX release, they're an awesome 20 minutes. It makes you feel like you're flying through the sky right next to the titular hero. They could have gone with more 3D effects, but director Bryan Singer was limited by how expensive it is to convert a non-IMAX, non-3D film to IMAX 3D. That said, just seeing it on a massive IMAX screen makes for an incredible viewing experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home