Sunday, June 25, 2006

Three more days until Superman Returns opens. I've already purchased my ticket for a Wednesday morning showing. It can't come soon enough. The other day, I was working in the kitchen with sharp objects and hot items when I hard the John Williams theme on the television in the other room. I was like, "Yay, Superman!", and nearly killed myself with said sharp objects and hot items trying to get to the other room to see the commercial.

On the other hand, I refuse to get excited by the resurrection of the on-again, off-again Watchmen film at a new studio. It's been in pre-production more often than it rains in Seattle and it's never actually made it into production yet. The current director attached to the project is Zack Snyder, who directed the Dawn of the Dead remake. If Terry Gilliam or Paul Greengrass couldn't get it made, can Snyder? I think Snyder is a good choice. He has a nice visual sensibility and I liked his version of Dawn of the Dead. Reportedly, Frank Miller is happy with Snyder's film adaptation of his graphic novel 300, which will be released next year. Still, I was disappointed that the previous attempt to get the film made with Greengrass didn't succeed, because his work on Bloody Sunday and United 93 have shown him to be a serious filmmaker with a knack for creating a heightened sense of reality that makes the audience feel like they're inside the film's world.

Iron Man is finally coming to the big screen with a release date of May 2, 2008 already set. It will be produced by Avi Arad, who recently resigned from his post as head of Marvel Studios to become an independent producer of Marvel-related films. Although his new production company will produce the film, Marvel Entertainment is funding it as the first of its self-financed productions to be distributed through Paramount Pictures. I'm not sold on Jon Favreau (Elf, Zathura) as director, mainly because his past efforts have had entertainment value but lacked the spark that can turn an okay film into a good or great film.

Futurama is coming back. Comedy Central has ordered thirteen new episodes to air sometime in 2008. "Such a show! I'd follow it to hell and back, I would!" (An imaginary cookie for anyone who guesses which Futurama character I'm paraphrasing.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home