Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I'm really looking forward to Superman Returns. The new trailer is awesome. I love its use of the John Williams theme. Brandon Routh looks great flying around, and from the brief clips he seems to have the Clark Kent persona down (which, in my opinion, is a bigger challenge than getting Superman down). Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor -- oh my god, is he perfect in the trailer or what.

Some fans are still complaining that Routh isn't muscular enough for the role, but he's actually pretty close to how the character was portrayed in the comics of the late 1930s drawn by co-creator Joe Shuster. Compare this drawing from 1939 with this image of Routh in action. Routh perhaps has more of a lean swimmer's body, but I don't think a lean, athletic Superman is less legitimate than a muscular one. Personally, I prefer the way superheroes were drawn in the Golden Age and Silver Age, when they were more athletic than hugely muscular.

Superman Returns is a film I've been waiting a long time for. Superman: The Movie in 1978 was the first superhero film I saw, and along with Star Wars was one of the defining films of my youth. Superman has always been one of my favorite characters. When I was a child, I had Superman bed sheets, Superman cookie jars, Superman toys, Superman towels, Superman t-shirts, Superman pajamas, and although I'm embarrassed to admit it, Superman underwear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home