Friday, May 30, 2008

Reviews: Lost and various comics

Review: Lost, Episodes 4.12/4.13/4.14, "There's No Place Like Home, Parts 1-3"

I have to admit that I was beginning to lose some interest this season, but the three-part season finale written by showrunners Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof has me hooked all over again. To describe some of the events as mindblowing would be an understatement. Now I can't wait for the fifth season to begin in January 2009.

Review: Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1

No spoilers, but wow, what a way for writer Joss Whedon and artist John Cassaday to end their four year run on Astonishing X-Men. Though I only kept up with it the past year through online issue summaries, the ending is still a kick in the gut. What a typically Joss way to end his run on something. Bravo!

Review: Final Crisis #1

This was the release that I most anticipated and made me want to read comics again, so I was a little underwhelmed by it's actual content. As the supposedly final chapter in a loose trilogy of Crisis events (including 1985's Crisis on Infinite Earths and 2005's Infinite Crisis, or alternatively Infinite Crisis and 2004's Identity Crisis), there's nothing that really grabs you right from the start. It seems muddled so far and I don't have a good feel for where it's going. Writer Grant Morrison can be brilliant, but he's at his weakest when writing mainstream superhero comics. We'll see which way this miniseries eventually goes.

Review: Angel: Revelations #1

Writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa serves up an interesting take on the life of Warren Worthington III before he grows a pair of wings, but it's nearly undone by the hideously ugly art of Adam Pollina. Oh, my bleeding eyes.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home