Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The absolute best comic I read in the past month was Astonishing X-Men #16. That plot twist toward the end of the issue? Never, ever saw it coming. Never, ever imagined it as a possibility. Joss Whedon is God. With Runaways creator Brian K. Vaughn leaving that title shortly, the announcement that God, I mean Joss, would be taking over as writer is so perfect. Runaways is consistently one of my favorite books to read, and with Joss as its writer it may just end up as my absolute favorite.

The second best comics I read were The Boys #1 and #2, by writer Garth Ennis and artist Darick Robertson. It's about a CIA-sponsored covert operations team that keeps superpowered people in line, either through intimidation or through murder. It's dark, violent, and twisted. It's also a great read. A PDF of the first six pages of issue #1 is online here (although the naughty words have been blacked out, unlike in the actual comic). Definitely not suited for everyone's tastes. I adore Terror, the pet bulldog of main character Billy Butcher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home