Sunday, July 20, 2008

Wow. Joss Whedon seems to have angered some feminists with Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog because of how they perceive the treatment of Penny within the story. As a feminist, I think that Dr. Horrible is a satire of the superhero/supervillain conflict as male power fantasy, and the characters are largely stock figures who exist to further that concept. Viewed within that context, the characterization of Penny makes sense. Of course, I've been reading superhero comics for three decades, so what might seem obvious to me might seem less obvious, or be invisible, to other viewers.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

Of course, I've been reading superhero comics for three decades, so what might seem obvious to me might seem less obvious, or be invisible, to other viewers.

Maybe this is why the problems seem less obvious or invisible to you.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Danielle Ni Dhighe said...

I acknowledged the superhero/supervillain conflict as a male power fantasy, but unlike you, I read Dr. Horrible as a satire of that.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home