Saturday, April 05, 2008

Review: Doctor Who, Episode 4.1 (or 30.1, continuing the original show's season numbering), "Partners in Crime"

The Doctor is back. Donna from the 2006 Christmas special is back, this time as a full-time companion. I have to say, I like Catherine Tate as Donna. Not as much as some previous companions, but I do like her. She reminds me of a more obnoxious Sarah Jane.

The new season starts out on a light note, thanks to a script by showrunner Russell T Davies. The story is really inconsequential other than re-introducing Donna, but it's the kind of fun nonsense that Davies does so well. As much as I love the deeper stories by Steven Moffat or Paul Cornell, I'm also fond of the sheer absurdity of some of Davies' stories.

And, wow, that thing at the end...totally unexpected in this episode but majorly squee inducing!

Warning: spoilers below, please highlight the white space with your mouse to read them.

OMG! ROSE!!!

I don't know how many will agree, but I thought the daft little Adipose creatures were adorable. They're like something an anime creator would dream up. Their creation represented the first use of the Massive visual effects system in a television production, previously being used only in mega-budget films like The Lord of the Rings, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and 300. It's a far cry from the days when Doctor Who's effects were a joke.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home